We tell you about the building of the former Cyril and Methodius School at the intersection of Kompros and Pushkin.
The building of the” Anthill ” resembles both a terem and an exquisite Venetian palace.
Passers-by and guests of the city admire the white-stone old mansion on the corner of Pushkin Street and Komsomolsky Avenue. The building resembles both a terem and an exquisite Venetian palace. About the building of the former Cyril and Methodius School, which after the revolution housed the children’s center “Ant Hill”, we tell in the new issue of”Architectural Treasures”.
If you go into the courtyard, you can see a simple wall, without any architectural frills.
Timofey Kalmakov.
The building of the “Anthill” was built more than a hundred years ago — then, in connection with the 100th anniversary, the question arose about a new home for the oldest Cyril and Methodius School in Perm. Until 1912, the school was located in an old wooden house on the corner of Bolshaya Yamskaya and Kungurskaya — now it is Pushkin Street and Komsomolsky Prospekt. The new site was allocated by the city council.
Many elements of the architect took from the ancient Russian architecture.
A competition was announced for the design of the new school building, the winner of which was architect Vladislav Kendrzhinsky. He designed a new house for the school in the neo-Russian style — one of the varieties of the Art Nouveau style that was fashionable at the beginning of the last century.
The paired windows are connected by decorative details.
His project was reminiscent of the Moscow manors and even the estate of the patron of the arts Pavel Tretyakov, which now houses the “Tretyakov Gallery”. The Perm house resembles at the same time an old Russian terem with a terem porch topped with a “gable”, with “kokoshniks” above the windows, and the wall of a Venetian palace with asymmetrical lancet windows of different shapes. It combines the seemingly incongruous, as if the architect decided to play the game “Surprise me”with the audience. The house combines the features of Pskov and Novgorod ancient architecture. The walls seem to have been molded by hands and kept them warm. The feeling of man-made art is also a property of ancient architecture. At the same time, the building resembles the facades of the elegant palaces in St. Mark’s Square in Venice.
Wide, but close to the pointed Gothic form of the window-one of the distinctive features of the Art Nouveau style.
On the facade facing the modern Pushkin Street, a high frieze is decorated with a relief geometric ornament with inserts of irrigation ceramics. Three-dimensional glass was used in the openings. For the province, this kind of eclecticism and asymmetry seemed like a novelty. The interiors looked and still look much more concise. The most grand staircase is a staircase with a decorative fence.
In the interior there are many arches and wide columns, reminiscent of those that held the vaults in the Old Russian towers.
Timofey Kalmakov.
The building was built in just a year, the doors of the school opened in 1912. And in 1916, it housed the Department of the Faculty of Medicine and the Department of Natural Sciences. After the revolution, the school was closed, and in 1919, the new authorities decided to place here the main children’s library, the head of which was appointed Vasily Shulepov — the same teacher who achieved the construction of the building. A memorial plaque on the facade of the building is dedicated to him.
In a wide corridor in the Soviet era, there was a pool for launching model boats.
Vasily Shulepov was born in 1874, started his career as a teacher’s assistant and only later became a teacher. In 1904, he organized a free school in Perm for adult Koreans who had been taken out of the frontline during the Russian-Japanese War.
Thanks to Vasily Shulepov, the building of the “Anthill” appeared. Many children were able to do not only lessons at school, but also in interest groups.

When Shulepov worked at the school at the Cyril and Methodius School, he abolished corporal punishment, began to celebrate holidays with the children, took them for walks in the forest. To the authorities, these innovations seemed like unnecessary liberties, and persecution began against the capable teacher. Shulepov was forced to temporarily transfer to a railway school. He returned to the building where he had worked for many years, when he became the head of the library. At the same time, he organized the club of proletarian children “Ant Hill”here. It was the first institution of extracurricular education.
Timofey Kalmakov.
The discovery of the “Anthill” is described in the book by Elena Speshilova ” Old Perm. At home. Streets. People. 1723-1917 ” according to eyewitnesses. The guys gathered in the hall, and Vasily Mikheevich came out — a thin face, gray-blue eyes, a mustache, and a beard. This is how his contemporaries described him.